- 2008 – 2013 Ph.D. Ecology, University of California, Davis
Dissertation: Pesticide Use Risk Evaluation (PURE) Indicator: Development, Sensitivity Analysis, and Application
- 2002 – 2006 B.S. Biological Sciences, Zhejiang University, China
- Integrated risk assessments for human health and ecosystem at regional scales
- Spatial data mining and modelling
Honors and Fellowship
- 2010 2nd place at the A5 (Environmental Quality) graduate student poster competition, ASA, CSSA, & SSSA International Annual Meetings
- 2008 – 2010 Conservation management fellowship from the Packard Foundation
- 2006 Excellent Bachelor Thesis
- Zhan, Y., S. Fan, M. Zhang, and F. Zalom. 2014. Modelling the effect of pyrethroid use intensity on mite population density for walnuts. Pest Management Science (in press).
- Grieneisen, M., Y. Zhan, D., Potter, and M. Zhang. 2014. Biodiversity, taxonomic infrastructure, international collaboration, and new species discovery. BioScience 64, 322-332.
- Zhan, Y. and M. Zhang. 2014. Spatial and temporal patterns of pesticide use on California almonds and associated risks to the surrounding environment. Science of the Total Environment 472, 517-529.
- Zhan, Y. and M. Zhang. 2013. Application of a combined sensitivity analysis approach on a pesticide environmental risk indicator. Environmental Modelling & Software 49, 129-140.
- Zhan, Y. and M. Zhang. 2012. PURE: A web-based decision support system to evaluate pesticide environmental risk for sustainable pest management practices in California. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 82, 104-113.
- Zhang, M., J. Campos, Y. Zhan, and M. Grieneisen, 2013. Sulfur management and miticide use in winegrapes grown in California. Renewable Agriculture and Food System 28, 32-42.
- Liu, X., Y. Zhan, Y. Luo, M. Zhang, S. Geng, and J. Xu, 2012. Almond organophosphate and pyrethroid use in the San Joaquin Valley and their associated environmental risk. Journal of Soils and Sediments 12, 1066-1078.
- 2013 Modelling the effect of pyrethroid use intensity on mite population density in walnuts (Poster). ASA, CSSA, & SSSA International Annual Meetings, Tampa, Florida
- 2012 Spatial and temporal trends in pesticide use and associated risks for California almond (Poster). ASA, CSSA, & SSSA International Annual Meetings, Cincinnati, Ohio
- 2011 Spatial and temporal trends in pesticide use and associated risks for California wine grape (Oral). ASA, CSSA, & SSSA International Annual Meetings, San Antonio, Texas
- 2011 A grower-oriented online system for site-specific pesticide use risk evaluation – website demonstration (Oral). ASA, CSSA, & SSSA International Annual Meetings, San Antonio, Texas
- 2010 A grower-oriented online system for site-specific pesticide use risk evaluation (Poster). ASA, CSSA, & SSSA International Annual Meetings, Los Angeles, California
- 2008 – present Doctoral Researcher, University of California, Davis
- 2007 Junior Researcher, University of California, Davis
- 2011 Teaching Assistant, "Process on pesticide registration, use and risk assessment", University of California, Davis
Affiliations and Services
- Membership: American Society of Agronomy; Crop Science Society of America; Soil Science Society of America
- Peer reviewer: Journal of Environmental Quality; Science of the Total Environment; Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment
- 2012 – present Regional Agricultural IPM grant from the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- 2011 – 2012 Specialty Crop grant from California Department of Food and Agriculture
- 2009 – 2010 Pesticide Environmental Stewardship Program (PESP) grant from EPA
- 2007 – 2009 Food Quality Protection Act grant from EPA
- Spatial analysis: R, QGIS, GRASS, ESRI ArcGIS
- Statistical analysis: Linear/Nonlinear regression, Statistical Learning
- Operating and Database System: Linux, PostgresSQL, MySQL